Pages


Friday, February 25, 2022

Refurbishing a Carry Revolver

If you didn’t just start carrying a handgun recently, and have been doing so for a while, you probably have noticed that carrying a particular pistol every day can be hard on it. Everyday carry pistols get worn on the finish, dirt in the internals, sweat, pocket lint, you name it. Depending upon your particular practice routine, they may also be fired quite regularly and have internal wear as well-which is accelerated by the aforementioned crud that gets inside them. A lot of handguns that are carried daily emit a plume of lint and dust when the first round is fired out of them on the range, from all of the crud they collect. Most people I know end up replacing their daily carry piece every few years-usually when something they like better comes along. And that’s probably just as well, given how hard daily carry can be on a firearm. But it doesn’t have to be like that if you really like what you have.
-Alemaster

5 comments:

  1. I alternate what I carry and how I carry depending on where I have to go.
    My Standard carry is a Kimber 6Ks revolver. I changed the combat grips to sturdy Altamont wood grips. I spent some coin and got a nice Kirkpatrick leather holster OWB and it carries nicely.
    I have always just liked the .357 round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too. I've got a S&W Mdl 65 on my hip right now and a Charter Arms Pug for my coat/overalls gun.
      I'll switch back to a lightweight 1911 shorty strictly for convenience when the weather warms up, but I do love a 357.

      Delete
  2. .357 is an iconic caliber. As is the .30-06... I want a shirt that says:
    .30-06 Turning cover into concealment since 1906

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have little use for a single-action trigger on a snub gun. And the hammer spur is likely to impede the draw. I figure most of the pocket lint gets in through the hammer slot.
    I considered bobbing the hammer of my M60 but retired it in favor of the M640. Concealed hammer w/ fixed sights suit my needs. Proper grips take the sting out of full-power .357 loads.

    Never been a particular fan of Taurus. I handled a PT1911 when they hit the market in 2005- it didn't sound right when the slide was racked. I have a tilt-barrel PT22. It works. Sometimes.
    (I hear Taurus quality has been improving lately.)

    Decent article, the writer didn't go overboard w/ mods.
    I wonder how the Alumahyde will hold up?


    ReplyDelete
  4. I run an M&P 340 for EDC. .357 mag SAO scandium frame. Nothing holds up on the scandium, and I pretty much don’t care. It doesn’t rust so it gets a brush off one a week and a thorough cleaning once a month after a few rounds to make sure it’s running okay. Five rounds should get me back to my truck if shit goes sideways. Eod1sg Ret

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.