Pages


Friday, February 25, 2022

Vietnam War: 1/503 of 173rd Infantry On Patrol in September 1970

Shows planning a mission, GIs being transported by Chinook and a long, hot and grubby day moving through jungle, over hills and rice paddies.Includes calling in artillery on nearby hill side, questioning villagers and examining intertwined sticks used by VC/NVA as a guide. Film has no sound and was shot with a 16 mm Filmo powered by a wind-up spring. No light meter. No auto-focus. Army photographer was Chris Jensen of the 221st Signal Company/Southeast Asia Pictorial Center.

VIDEO HERE  (19 minutes)

3 comments:

  1. I reckon everybody that went had their Nam. That wasn't mine but I respect that they were there. Had it been my fire team/squad you would not have seen cluster fucking. We never got too close to each other. All of us had bug fuck or battle dressing on our helmets. We spent weeks in the bush so we didn't exactly look neat and tidy. We looked like we had just stepped out of a cement mixer. We were hungry, tired, filthy, clothes torn, sores on the bod and maybe some jungle rot. We weren't Daytripper's. We lived in the bush coming into the rear for two or three days and right back out again. I figured it out one time. After thirteen months I probably had a roof, that would be canvas, over my head all total maybe thirty days. The rest was all under the stars or rain. Still today I cannot walk in a field along side a tree line. If I do I'm a long way from the tree line. If I want to enter the tree line I walk straight into it. Never along side of it. I still never walk the top of a ridge line. Long time ago man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I still look up every time I hear a chopper.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.