Pages


Friday, January 05, 2024

The Quiet Mutiny - John Pilger (1970) - Filmed at Camp Snuffy - Vietnam Documentary Film

John Pilger's career on television began on World in Action (Granada Television) in 1969, directed by Denton, for whom he made two documentaries broadcast in 1970 and 1971, the earliest of more than fifty in his career. The Quiet Mutiny (1970) was filmed at Camp Snuffy, presenting a character study of the common US soldier during the Vietnam War. It revealed the shifting morale and open rebellion of American troops. Pilger later described the film as "something of a scoop" – it was the first documentary to show the problems with morale among the drafted ranks of the US military. In an interview with the New Statesman, Pilger said: "When I flew to New York and showed it to Mike Wallace, the star reporter of CBS' 60 Minutes, he agreed. "Real shame we can't show it here".

VIDEO HERE  (26:19 minutes)
-Nines

5 comments:

  1. Remember it well. First war shown in living technicolor on TVs in our front room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was interested in his views a long time ago and read a few of his books and bought one on the Iran / Irag war but although interesting I couldn't decide if he was sensible or a sucker. I note he eventually left the Middle East after, I gather, even he gave up on the hope that Muslims can be nice to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get over some jackass at the Pentagon going, "Oh, they're bored, and fragging shitheads. Maybe we should send them some girls to conduct quizzes and play games with them."

    Oh, that's the ticket. Keep 'em bored and make 'em MORE frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not my Viet Nam, 68/69 but I guess there were many different experiences. The flim started saying it was the front lines Viet Nam. What I saw was a company rear that I got to for about two/three days every four to six weeks. Hot chow, cold showers and a gang tent that might have a floor but no cots. I watched the film and didn't see any C-Rats. I guess these guys got hot chow every day. I also never did find that front line in Nam. Didn't know one existed. I kind of get what the guy is saying. It just wasn't my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pilger was a yuuge fanboy of Hugo Chávez.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.