Pages


Monday, March 04, 2024

Marlin Model 60 Rimfire Rifle

 Brownells Gun Tech™ Caleb Savant is here, but it's not Smyth Buster Tuesday or Quick Tip Wednesday. He's here to show us around the Marlin Model 60 semi-auto, .22 LR, tubular magazine fed rifle. Introduced in 1960 (of course!), the Model 60 is an update on Marlin's Model 99, with different scope mounting provisions and a stock made of birch vs the Model 99's walnut. Over the years, Marlin made some changes, including upgrades to the feed throat / ejector assembly. The bolt catch added to the triggerguard has led to some unnecessary visits to the gunsmith.... Caleb explains - and offers a word of caution about the magazine tube. The Model 60 has come with a lot of front sight options, though a simple rear leaf sight with elevator is standard. In recent years, a synthetic stock also has been an option. The Model 60 is popular with south Louisiana sugarcane farmers. You'll be surprised at one task they use it for! How many folks reading this grew up with a Model 60?
VIDEO HERE  (4:04 minutes)

*

Marlin Model 60: How To Make It Run Like New!

Every gun owner has a gun that stands out to them for one reason or another.  The Marlin Model 60 is one of those guns for me as it was the first 22 rifle I handled and shot.  It's a fantastic 22 rifle but there is one part on the Model 60 that can be overlooked that can be quite problematic if not kept clean. In this video, I show you how to clean and what to look for in order to keep your Model 60 running like new!
VIDEO HERE  (9:48 minutes)

8 comments:

  1. Got mine from my Grandpa when I was 10. Carried that thing all over the North Georgia mountains and taught all 6 of my kids to shoot with it. Still in my safe and soon my grandkids will be shooting with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He hit the nail on the head on cleaning the Model 60, especially with the carbon buildup. I bought a dental scaler to clean the carbon deposits out. It’s just like removing plaque from the gum line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say that softening up the carbon buildup with a dab of Hopps applied right on it with an eye dropper makes things easy

      Delete
  3. They used to sell them under the Glenfield name. I guess they decided to do away with the "economy" brand name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a Marlin 60 about a dozen years ago .. local MoD (Merchant of Death) had it on the used rack for $69. I've replaced the factory sights with Tech Sights because my eyes work better with 'em.
    When I use good quality factory ammo, and I also do my part .. this sucker is SUPER ACCURATE. Couple years ago from a bench at 25 yards I managed five shots into a ragged hole smaller than a dime. I don't recall the ammo .. might have been copper plated HV stuff from CCI or similar.
    https://www.kimdutoit.com/2022/05/11/the-forgotten-model-60/

    The only downside is I have a 1990 vintage piece with the crap plastic trigger assembly. I've already replaced one which split into two pieces, and the current assembly is about to break again. I've not had the carbon buildup problem described in the longer of the two videos.

    Anyway .. my '60 is a great little rifle. Fun to a fault, cheap to run, fairly easy to clean etc.

    I'll probably ask to be buried with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father bought me one at a local flea market when i was 13, for $50. When i got into gunsmithing, i bought a barrel and most other parts from ebay and put it together, and shortly turned it into a Model 70 by milling the stock and installing the magazine parts i got from MidwayUSA. i also installed a rear peep sight and a weaver rail. my point it that it was a fascinating mechanism that lent itself to modularity. The rifle shot very accurately in both forms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started out with a 70. Living in Minnesota it was required that the gun be unloaded when transported. Some years later I got a 60 with a broken stock. Changed the internals to use the 7 round mag and made a stock changing it to a bullpup. Later got a 75 and did the same to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brake Parts Cleaner - in the spray can - is cheap and works as well as the expensive 'gun' sprays. Really nice for hard to get areas and quick too. Make sure to get the non-chlorinated as it's not as toxic.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.