Pages


Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Tornado Alley: The Storm That Defied the Odds | Mega Disaster

What happens when the most intense tornado ever measured strikes Dallas, Texas? With winds clocked at 318 miles per hour, the monster twister carves a path through the city up to a mile wide. It happened once before, just two hundred miles to the north in Oklahoma City. There in May 1999 a "Megatornado" scoured the earth for 85 minutes along a 38-mile path.

VIDEO HERE  (50:34 minutes)

*****

This is the kind of shit I watch any time we go under a tornado watch - that and tornado chaser videos. I want to see what's going to kill my ass. 
And yes, it drives Lisa fucking insane. Here she is, getting ready to go across the road to cower in the neighbor's basement with them, and I'm making popcorn and hitting youtube looking for EF-5 tornado videos.

15 comments:

  1. I had a neighbor years back who was originally from New York, and she was scared to death of the very idea of a tornado. I think she moved here to Oklahoma shortly after the May 3rd outbreak. Drove her nuts when there'd be a weather warning and people would go outside to see if it was coming their way.

    I think there were a total of five F5 twisters that night, and no idea how many smaller; it was a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The April 8th 98 f5 sucked the asphalt off the road when it went within 1/4 of my father in laws place. 32 people died in that storm. Most in basements and it blew the house away, sucked them out and filled the basement with debris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 years in the Navy doing Meteorology, I still go outside to see the tornado. Drives my wife nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ex Met man myself. Army Navy and AF. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. I still dont have shoes and flashlight under my bed. I guess I need a battery saw there too to cut through the debris.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with ya 100%. When yer numbers up it's up but by the Jesus I wanna see what's taking my ass out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in Wichita Falls for the F4 they had there in the early 80's. I was in a bunker a quarter mile from the path. The house was destroyed, nothing left but the slab. The refrigerator had a 2x4 sticking through it 150 yards from the house. It was laying on it's door. None of the eggs were broken in the egg holder. They never found the pickup that was in the driveway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was near Duncan, OK that night in a storm cellar. We had to go through Wichita Falls the next day to get back home to Amarillo. I was astounded at the devastation that we saw.

      Delete
    2. And pine needles will go through trees. Seen it.

      Delete
  7. Those are some intense stories. Guess I'll shut up about the earthquakes I've been through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. F5 in Joplin wiped us out in 2012. Took 2/3 of my town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that. Took out your house as well, as I recall.

      Delete
  9. Here in Texas, as soon as the tornado warning is announced, we all grab a beer and run outside to look for it.
    D from Big D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why didn't you give her basement of her own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me grab my pick and shovel and I'll get right on it.

      Delete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.