Pages


Thursday, May 09, 2024

Well, last night was..... interesting

We got hit with some pretty badass storms last night, but not nearly as bad as the Weatherguessers predicted. To hear them tell it,  the entire region was going to get slammed by tornadoes and everybody was going to die, widespread destruction and all that.

I had been watching the forecasts for a couple days through both the news and my favorite radar site, Ventusky.com, and I'll admit it looked like it was going to be pretty bad with the radar site showing nothing but solid red parked over Macon County for all of yesterday and last night.

We got a severe thunderstorm warning fairly early, then a tornado watch and then a tornado warning a couple hours later. When we got the tornado watch, I looked outside and it was patchy skies. Okaaay.....

As the day went on, shit kept piling up and we started getting thunderstorms, lightning strikes and rain, lots and lots of rain, and that shit went on all damned night. I got bored watching tornado chaser videos and weather reports and went to bed around 10pm. 
The TVA precipitation site shows that we ended up getting 6.17 inches of rain in that 24 hour period. At one point last night, it was coming down so hard I could barely make out my truck parked 30 feet away.

There ended up being 3 tornadoes (I think), all of them moving west to east down below the Nashville and Murfreesboro area. Lisa said the channel she was watching showed a tornado or two touching down in Robertson County, two counties to the west of us, but we didn't even get any high winds.

All and all, it's been a quiet tornado season for us - so far.

10 comments:

  1. x2 on ventusky...cool site, lotta info

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got some rain, lightening, thunder and wind on the NC side of the mountains yesterday and last night Ken, but not as bad as the weather babes were constantly screaming about since Monday. This morning promises to be slightly worse than last night currently with heavy rain, lightning and wind. Of course some of the climate change dorks will be blaming it on fossil fuel and cow farts. So far, the power is still holding out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Near Asheville, we got hail yesterday. Sounded pretty violent on the metal roof. Fortunately, tornados are rare in the mountains.

      Delete
  3. It's still early, WC. Where I lived in the county just to your west, we got stuff like nearly all hurricane season. It dies down a lot during August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christopher GardnerMay 9, 2024 at 12:32 PM

    Even here in Hawaii, our news folks were saying your area would get nailed! Glad you guys are good..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listen to Ryan Hall Ya'll YouTube channel, I also downloaded the App Radar Omega to my phone and tablet. The NWS was so busy yesterday they missed multiple warnings for areas in yesterday, Ryan was able to call them out before the NWS did and was able to warn people a head of time. The Radar Omega app is also an awesome app although it is free ton get some things it does you have to pay for. But worth every penny you put into it when your 2400 miles from home helping guide your family to safety. I don't miss tornados.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan Hall is good, but he looks at the entire storm system that could be spread out over several states. I'm not interested in what's happening in Arkansas, so I watch Nashville's News Channel 5's website which concentrates on what's happening in their viewing area which I'm evidently part of.

      Delete
  6. It was enough rain to fill my pool for me. Didn't even clean out my gutters though. The wind let me down.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.