Pages


Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Beating the Historical Odds

I was about ten years old when I first learned about Joan of Arc, the 14-year-old peasant girl who, against all odds, led the army of France against the British in the Hundred Years War. I had checked out from our school library a little cloth-bound book (A Candle in the Sky) that told her story, and I must have read it a dozen times, she so fascinated me. Her audacity, her courage, her unwavering faith was both inspiring and horrifying to my young mind. I am now aged well beyond that point, and she still haunts me.

6 comments:

  1. 'Witchcraft' as in 'you paid a prostitute to be quiet'?
    Still happening today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Witches, hey?
      https://youtu.be/bqAPXSuEEms

      Delete
  2. Yes. that was a very good story. The kingdom of heaven is for children and she is there for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to the Cathedral where she crowned the King, and I have been to the place where she was burned at the Stake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "On May 30th of 2024 Donald Trump was convicted of 34 counts of unspecified misadventure."

    Not so. The 34th count was a clear case of Improperly Stapling Paperwork.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.