Pages


Thursday, October 03, 2024

Ah, the Liars Club at the Old Mill

MODESTO – It's dark and early, but the skillets are hot and customers are already here. A lot has happened in the last 100 years here at Old Mill Cafe: A change of venue, new ownership, and plenty of obstacles. 

But one thing that stays the same are recurring customers.
MORE

*****

The group of friends the gentleman belongs to is known at the Old Mill Cafe as The Liar's Club. It used to be that when a member died, somebody else would take his place.

I've been eating at the Old Mill as far back as I can remember, and it was the last place I bought a meal at before moving out here. Matter of fact, it was the day before we left - a bunch of family and friends gathered there to say goodbye before they got rid of us.

2 comments:

  1. The Varacity League, ever word spoken pure as the driven snow. I would sit and listen to old timers for hours when I was a kid. Waiting to see which one was gonna tell the biggest lie. They were wonderful folks but they sure would set you up spinning their yarns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I did the same thing at the Old Mill when I was a youngster.

      Delete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.