Pages


Monday, October 21, 2024

The Mini-14: A Cost-Effective Scaled-Down M14

 The Ruger Mini-14 is certainly not a “forgotten” weapon, but I think there are some valuable insights to be taken from it. As a company, Ruger has an outstanding track record of making not flashy and exciting guns, but rather guns that are economical and dependable. The Mini-14 is an excellent example of that, with hundreds of thousands sold since its introduction in 1972. So today we will take a look at how Jim Sullivan simplified the M14 design when he scaled it down to 5.56mm for Ruger, and how the company used its investment casting expertise to further reduce production costs.

VIDEO HERE  (14:23 minutes)

5 comments:

  1. Keep one in the barn with an eotech. The stainless/synthetic combo is perfect. Rugaer makes a good gun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have shot a few. They are dependable. They are economical. They are not exactly military spec accurate however. I find with ruger, you can get lucky sometimes and get one that is very accurate too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got two of them. I've heard about the piss poor accuracy for 50 years. I've owned mine for about 30 years and in that time they have always been able to put 10/10 on an 8" paper plate at 100 yd. if I can do my part.
    That may not be accurate enough for some, but that does everything I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Install an AccuStrut and you can easily cut those groups in half.
      https://accu-strut.com/main-page.html

      Delete
  4. my Mini-14 shoots 1/2" MOA, but I've accurized it, and reload.

    not a rifle to recommend out of the box. I just happen to like the way it fits me, and didn't mind putting the work into it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.