Pages


Sunday, January 27, 2013

Masonic






Masonic, California. I took these last time I was there coyote hunting a couple years ago, I think. The town, or what's left of it is located right on the California/Nevada border, a few miles northeast of Bridgeport.
It had a small boom in 1912 although Masonic Mining District was formed back in the 1860s, I believe. They hit a couple of strikes in the hills above the town but due to the geological misfortune of being close to a volcano and an earthquake fault, the veins just disappeared due to the ground shifting. Lots of pocket gold in the area, but that doesn't pay for a hardrock mine.
The pictures are of an old store (I think), then the post office and the bottom two are the ruins of the mill.


5 comments:

  1. This reminds me of Bodie. Same general area. Also I think the town (or what's left of it)Dayton is in the same area. Used to jeep and shoot there many moons ago. Good memories. Thanks for sharing.
    Terry
    WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, about 10 miles north of Bodie. Matter of fact, if you take that dirt road headed north out of Bodie, it'll take you to Masonic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kenny, do a web search for ghost towns of the American west. You will be pleased you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just went by there coming back from Yerington NV I will get your card out tomorrow just got back from a couple weeks out of town...Saw a bunch of coyotes up that direction to far out for the seventeen wish I would of brought the Grendel...
    Snow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a great area to offroad and
    camp....less than an hour south of my AO. Next time your near Masonic head a bit further south and check out Bodie....GREAT ghost town.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.