Pages


Friday, November 13, 2020

1965 Bluegrass/Mountain Music

 My subscribers and others have been asking me for some time to post the full film I made back in 1965–I first professional documentary–primetime television at that time. I was 22 years old. I had never really traveled outside of my home area of New England. Being with these wonderful people taken around by the extraordinary collector of talent, Bascom Lamar Lunsford, was one of the most memorable experiences of my life as a filmmaker.  I know that some commentators will say that this is not bluegrass but mountain or old-time music. To me, the distinction is irrelevant. Bluegrass. Country. Mountain. Old time. The creative source is all the same. The wonderfully talented people of the Appalachian Mountains. This is not the entire film but a good part of it.

VIDEO HERE (46:07 minutes)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this wonderful piece. It also reminds me of growing up in Western PA. The hill folk there are similar with their own vernacular and love of music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I've always enjoyed this kind of music ever since I first heard Flatt & Scruggs back when I was a kid.
      I listen to a lot of nowadays, different artists, on youtube.

      Delete
  2. robert william oriansNovember 14, 2020 at 4:03 AM

    Wow ! Just Wow ! Thrills this old Irishmans heart to see that . Hill folk ain't the same . Yesteryear or today .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, that takes me back. I used to listen to bluegrass on Saturday nights in the early 70's on KUMR. I don't remember the show's host, but we moved to the gulf coast in '77 and tuning across the FM dial on a Saturday night, heard a familiar voice...the show's host had moved to Gulfport and brought his music collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My childhood was spiced with music like this and it is a treat to see the people of that region archived.
    Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kenny that was outstanding. Wanted to learn the banjo so a friend loaned me his. Bought some flat and scruggs books. I guess after my guitar picked brother was born all the talent genes were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Growing up, my best fiend's dad who was like a 2nd father to me, introduced me to "old timey" music, bluegrass and folk music.
    One of my favorite artists is a newer man, John Prine, who sadly is no longer with us, but I do like the music from a simpler time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The smartest horse in the world

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4pACXxtbvVA&t=96s

    I truly enjoy the story telling. Incredibly engaging.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.